Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining/Detecting a modem in Windows 3.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlinkingLeaf

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I have an old laptop with a built in modem and Windows 3.11 for workgroups installed. I've got an older version of AOL installed on it also.
My problem is no matter which modem I use in the older AOLs' selection list for modems it does not connect. So I am wondering if there is any way that I can find out what modem is in the laptop without using AOL's detecting feature.
This is made exteremly diffcult since the laptop is not a known brand. It's made by EPSON the model is ActionNote 4SCL/33. I can find a few obscure sites that deal in batterys but that is all.
I know that it's possible in the newer versions of window to find out through the OS itself, so I am curious if it's the same for 3.11. Any help would be greatly apprecated.
-Blinking

Try opening the modem in Hyperterminal and typing the following commands:

AT I2
AT I3
AT I4

The information that is obtained may provide the information that you are looking for. If you post it here, someone may be able to identify it for you.

pansophic

Thanks, but it seems that this copy of 3.11 is missing Hyperterminal. Any other ideas?

-blinking

You need to find a terminal emulator of some type. Procomm or some other terminal emulator for DOS would work just as well.

You can try Tiny Terminal although I've never tested it myself. It is available on Simtel.net:

pansophic

Thanks for the help. I finally got it set up, and while the copy of AOL I have still won't recongize it, I have went to another ISP and found it listed.

My deepest appreaction for you help.

~Blinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back