Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

determining bandwidths

Status
Not open for further replies.

monchet

Programmer
Jan 13, 2000
PH
I am planning on switching ISP and i need to determine how much downstream and upstream bandwidths I should ask from our prospect ISP. Is there a stardard rule or formula to follow to determine the bandwitdh...we have about 180 computers to connect to the internet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks. [sig][/sig]

Take the amount of bandwidth provided(56k is 56000bps of bandwith) and divide that number by 8000 or 8 if its in kbps and thats how many Kilobytes of bandwidth provided. then divide that by 180 and thats how much bandwidth each of the computers would have available to them assuming that they are all on simultaneously. For 180 computers you are gonna need some massive bandwidth, a T1 or more is probably advisable. [sig]<p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)[/sig]

This solution would be fine if you were to assume that every single computer will be generating Internet traffic at the same time, since the computer memory holds your internet pages, it is highly likely that out of the 180 users only a small percentage will be downloading something at the same time. I suggest you rate the users as heavy, medium, or lite users (i.e. secretary, engineers, front desk, general office, etc.), also look at the type of business your company is in, and what type of services the users will be requiring (i.e. downloading graphics, e-mail, ftp, etc.)from this guestimate the percentage of users that will be accessing the internet at one time (say 20% | 36 users), then use the above formula based on this number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back