Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determine what verision of MS Office is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuWilson

Programmer
Oct 10, 2001
CA
is there a way, with visual basic 6.0, to retrieve the current version of microsoft office installed on the machine the application is running on.

have a look at thread222-519041 its along the right lines of what your are asking!

good luck!

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383
The Great Date Debate Thread222-368305
File Formats Galore @ or

This answer may accomplish nothing more than showing my ignorance, but I am noticing that Office(currently) names the office folder inside C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office numerically in sequence as new versions come out. I don't know if they always did it this way(I don't have an older machine to check on), but if this is the case, one could just check the folders that exist there. If you find an "Office10" folder, Office XP is installed. I have a Beta version of Office 2003 running, and it is under "Office11". Does anyone know if they used this same format in previous versions and if this would work then?

think that might be a >2000 thing... my office folder is just called office!! (running 2000)

if u look at the curver of say excel or word or powerpoint etc u can determine the version by the number!

11-> i presume is 2003
10-> is xp
9 -> 2000
8 -> 9x
7 -> dunno which version this is!!

good luck!

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383
The Great Date Debate Thread222-368305
File Formats Galore @ or

Thanks for you help but i went another way.
I searched for the readme file in the office folder under program files and read the file to retrieve the office version.

Good creative solution. One warning though - I don't see a readme file in my versions of either Office XP or 2003. May not be a problem for you if you have some idea of a limitation of versions people will have, but just something you might want to know.
Good Luck!

thanks for the heads up i am going to use the "Office10" folder to determine if they are running Office XP. Because there is no uniform way to determine the office version.I will have to check machines with all of the different office versions and code for the unique cases.

What about checking the registry? I see in mine I have an 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 under HKLM\software\microsoft\office. Does anyone know if it would work to check what the largest version number found in the registry is and go by that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back