Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determine the client time??

Status
Not open for further replies.

johk02

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
AU
As I host my site in the US but live in Australia I was wondering how i best would go about to determine the clients time??

Thanks
jonas

Are you showing the client the time or is it for your records?

I mainly want to record when someone adds a news item, signup etc.
Currently I am using creatODBCdate().
GUJUm0deL, I had a look at the coldfusion link you attached it looks ok but I thought there where a more staright forward solution. Isn't there a way to just "grab" the time on the client PC??

Jonas

GUJUm0deL said:

I might be missing something but how does that return the client's time?

johk02 said:
I mainly want to record when someone adds a news item, signup etc.
Currently I am using creatODBCdate().
GUJUm0deL, I had a look at the coldfusion link you attached it looks ok but I thought there where a more staright forward solution. Isn't there a way to just "grab" the time on the client PC??

It isn't as easy as just grabbing the time from the client. What you need to consider is that Coldfusion runs server-side so at the point the code is rendered, there is no client time involved.

The only way I could think of doing this would be to use Javascript to write the time into the form code, then when they submit the form it would be sent over to Coldfusion and you can process it. Someone else here may have a better solution for you though.

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion/Windows Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back