Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determine Default Excel File Extension 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
I'm sure this has been answered before, but is there a way to determine what the Excel default file extension is? I'm using automation and saving some Excel files using the SAVEAS command and do not want to specify the extension because different users have different versions of Excel. After all the files are saved, I email them to various people and I need to know what the exact file name is. I'm guessing that if I could get the Excel version I could map the version to a default extension, or is the default extension available somewhere in Excel?

Auguy
Northwest Ohio

"Why not simply give your client an option to define what excel format is produced, maybe even per recipient. "

per recipient - Wow that sounds like it could be a Pandora's box waiting to be opened.

I assume that you will be creating one and only one version of each file which is to be sent via email and you will be sending the same single file to multiple recipients and since the email recipients would possibly (likely) have differing versions of Excel - then how would you ever know which version to do your SAVEAS into?

Now if it were a single email recipient for a single Excel file, then indeed you could do as Olaf suggests. But how would you ever keep your reference data table containing the remote Recipient's info (Excel version number, etc.) up to date?

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I've decided to create each file as type 56 (2003 format). Each user is getting a unique file. There are only about 50 files being sent so I could track what version each user needs if I had to. These files are used for reference only so I don't think the file type is terribly important. That's why I went with the simple approach and will send everyone the same version. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Auguy
Northwest Ohio

jrbbldr,

depends on what recipients are. Even if you have thousands of recipients, but each is a paying customer that could pay out much better than sending some old format to all or the newest and losing offended or disappointed.

Plus I said "maybe".

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back