Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determine a PANTONE Color 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperlord

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
US
Hey all -
New member here. I'm really glad to be aboard.

So I have a question: I need to make an multi-color ad and the customer has supplied mw with PANTONE color codes. I have an oooold color chart so I can try and find the colors visually - but how do I make the color in illustrator. In Swatches there aren't but a handful of colors to work with. I'm sure I'm missing something easy here (I;m new at all this) - so any help would be appreciated.

Here's an example of what I received:
"The green background should match 585U in the non glossy Pantone color chart should be 291U"

Thanks so much -
HL Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

You need to load the swatch library for Pantone colors and then you can just grab the pantone number and it will be there for you to use.

Thanks factofum. I had a feeling i was missing something easy. I have a couple more q's if its ok:
After the the pantone color - there is a "CVU" designation after the name. What does this stand for? And my client specifies a a color 585U - - would this be a different color from 585CVU?
Thanks again
HL Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

I think (but I'm not sure) the letters after a Pantone reference refer to the way the colour is used (eg U means uncoated stock, C coated stock, 2X for 2 passes with the one ink). I don't know what CVU stands for, but if you just use the swatches you're asked to use, it is generally up to the printer to interpret the codes!

If you know what the pms numbers are they dont have to be that accurate on screen because they will be labled correctly on the film no matter what. A quick to either match or find a color is to goto photoshops color finder, click on custom (or whatever the bottom button is) and it should show you a pms chart. Grab the pms book you want from the pull down (CVU = coated or glossy and U = uncoated or dull) and just type in the number your looking for. If you've typed in the CMYK value on the picker side, it will be matched for you when you click on cutom. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

That is a link that might help you with some of the vocabulary of color separation. I think your search for the proper pms swatches has already been answered (window > swatch libraries > "choose color system" i.e. pantone uncoated), this site link I have sent you has a lot of general information that will provide you with some background on color and all sorts of other useful knowledge.

In your post you said "so I can try and find the colors visually", I reccomend always checking with a updated PMS book even if you have to borrow them, I know they are $$$. But if your client picks blue & the job comes out purple...you could loose that client and several more. I saved for these books and never pick colors by eye any more just by the numbers. Have fun. I hope this has helped.

Where can I find a cross reference between PANTOME COLOR and RAL COLOR ??

To answer the question "what does CVU mean?":

CV stands for computer video and is an electronic simulation of the Pantone colour. It is an on-screen simulation of what the Pantone colour will look like once printed on paper.

CVU stands for computer video--uncoated (how the colour will look on uncoated paper) and CVC stands for computer video--coated.

Be aware that all software programs have differing Pantone palettes. For example InDesign 1.5 has Pantone coated (CVC) and uncoated (CVU) whilte Illustrator 9 has Pantone coated (C) and uncoated (U). It doesn't matter if you pick CVC or just C, but remember to be consistent. While they may be the same ink formula, your software may see them as 2 different colours, even if they look the same on your monitor. If Pantone 485 is the shade of red you want, use either Pantone 485 CV or Pantone 485 CVC, but not both in the same print job.

DumontP asked where to find a cross reference for PANTONE COLOR to RAL COLOR. Has there been an answer? If so, I need the same information.
Please respond to:
macdaid@aol.com or mdavidson@canberra.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back