Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detecting modem on every start windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

codo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2001
ID
Im using 3com US robotics 56K Faxmodem on my Win XP Pro. Everytime i started the computer my modem is always unavailable. I had to found the modem from Add New Hardare. When i shutdown the machine and start it again the modem is disappear again. Is my modem not compatible with this XP Pro?

Is this an internal, serial, or USB modem?

It sounds like either the instalation is not completing all the way, or your registry isn't recording the information on the new hardware.

When you detect the modem and after you install it, does it show up in device manager? If it shows up with no problems and then dissappears from there after a reboot it sounds like registry.

Also, if you are using a USB modem the system will often not recognize the device if it is plugged into a different USB port than it was installed on. IE if you had it in port 1 when you installed it, but later move it to port 2, you will have to reinstall it on port 2.

Hi,

Try going to device manager, under view, select show hidden devices, you might find that the device has a problem, try deleting it and restart your machine, see if it's still detected. If not then try installing it once again.

Magnetmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back