Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detecting CD-ROM/R-RW Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinseaking

Technical User
Dec 1, 2002
US
Some threads are close but no help..grrr

Anyway, A Friend of mine is running Win XP Home, 82Gig HDD Partitioned, so that would be C: and D:...now, he just purchased a CD-ROM and a CD-R/RW by Sony, So with my experience this should be E: and F: with CD Device or
[CD Device]E:
[CD Device]F:
Hardware Wizard found Both! BIOS found Both! The problem is that the Computer only says it has one CD Drive. Which is the Reader. He tested the Writer, and it works with Roxio. He can Read with the Reader, what he wrote with the Writer, But he can't read with the writer because it's not listed!

This is more of an annoyance then anything else, but frankly, I see his point.

I talked him through the BIOS and he couldn't find where the BIOS can detect all HDD's. Right now he has it on auto, and like I said, the CD-R/RW is listed, so I don't think it's that.

Can anyone tell me why it doesn't show this drive whatsoever? :)

i've encountered the exact problem few months back while building a system for my brother...at least i think it's the same.

put in a data CD (any type, games, programs, but not music or video) and reboot. once booted, check if the XP sees the drive.

actually, i still haven't found a fix for this yet. if the above works, this is the only work-around i know of. if rebooting with data CD works, i don't think it's a OS issue. i loaded number of different OS's in my brother's PC all with same results. i'm guessing it's a mobo/CD-R/W compatiblity thing. he has a P4 ECS mobo with sis chipset and the CD-RW is a verbatim made by lite-on.

good luck!
jhlee

I've always had problems with Lite-On products...lol...but it's a Sony CD-R/RW.
I'll ask him to give it a try, but I think he accidently did that without knowing by leaving a CD in there when he shut down, and it didn't make a difference.
But I'll tell him...thx

Still consider this Thread Active please!!!

I have had the same experience using HP CDRWs and found a driver on there site to correct this. Had to install the driver and then reboot before problem went away. Maybe Sony has a similar solution. I would check their site for updated xp CDRW drivers.

Thx bro...will check it out....apparently I didn't think of that...rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back