Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detecting a new version of your database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddmon

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
US
I have a split database with the backend on a server and the front end loaded on everyones "C" drive linking to the Tables in the backend. Also on the server is the development database I use to update the front end. Currently, I have a laborious task of having to email the front end updates to the 25+ users. I've searched a number of alternatives (i.e. like "Auto Update") but found they don't exactly work or are even more cumbersome than email method.
If anyone has a tried and true method that they wouldn't mind sharing with me, I'd appreciate clarity to my self generated confusion!

Instead of everyone having a copy of the front-end on each of their C: drives, how about having ONE front-end copy on the network (different directory than the back-end) with the links to the back-end tables and everyone clicking on the shortcut? That way, when you're ready to update, bring everyone down for a few minutes, replace the front-end, make sure that the Permissions are set appropriately, and then let them back up. That's basically how we do it here at work.

HTH Roy McCafferty
aka BanditWk

Las Vegas, NV
roy@cccamerica.org
RLMBandit@aol.com (private)

"I do this because I know I can - no need to send gifts, just send a smile."

BanditWk:I hope I'm not repeating myself, but my response to your response doesn't seem to have posted. In a nutshell...
I use to use what you suggested and found it slowed the operation of the database and getting all the users to cooperate and log off (amazing how intelligence functions at times) was a pain in the tukas!
Having a copy of the front end on everyone's "C" drive helped the slowness issue but created a new pain in updating. I tried the program "Auto Updater 2.0" but couldn't get it to work (tech support on that program couldn't help me either). It costs $325.00 but I can't get it to work.

Eddmon - First you are absolutely correct on having the front end loaded on each PC. The point of splitting the database is to put each piece where it can be best processed. If you put the frontend on the network and link to it, each time you open a form you end up sending two round-trip network requests -one for the graphics (front-end) and one for the data (back-end). This is why you see a slow down.

Second, to Ben O'Hara (oharab) posted an awesome FAQ in the Access Modules forum that will give you some great direction in checking versions and updating front-ends accordingly.
The faq is faq705-2010.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jay

Check out Bens FAQ above, it will cure the problem

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Roy, Robert, and Neil:
Thank you for your input. I will explore each suggestion and get back to you with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back