Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

detect correct hd in bios but cant fdisk whole hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assimilate

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
GB
Hello, I have tried searching the site, but cannot find the answer to my problem.

I have a 80gb maxtor d740x. I have connected it, and the correct specs of the hd are displayed in my msi kt333 bios. When i try and fdisk the drive though, only a maximum of 10 gb is detected.

I am currently updating my motherboard bios, but if that doesnt work, what else can i do?

thanks

What is your Operating System? Some versions of fdisk can't see the larger drives. I remember an updated fdisk on MS site, but can't recall where just now.

Thanks for the help, i got it working, i just used the maxtor device drivers and it was fine! :)

Unfortunately now my pc crashes and i really dont know where to start.

Do you mean you formatted it with Maxblast? If so, you'd be better off following Berton's link and using upgraded fdisk to create your partition. I've seen a number of posts on various forums where people have problems with Windows after formatting with Maxblast.

I had problems after using that maxblast.

The OS I am using is XP. My whole hd is being detected now, i think it might have been because i had it as a primary slave to an old 10gb IBM drive, because when i took it of and set the hd to primary master i had no more problems.

Every now and then my hd crashes though. It used to do it with Grand theft auto3, which has now stopped. Now it seems to dislike AOL 6 and it crashes when i try to load AOL or install it.

Also i cant seem to install/unistall medal of honour. I installed MOHAA then had problems with it and tried to uninstall, i think the main install was removed, but in the add/remove programs screen MOHAA was still visible with an install size of 3.1mb.

When i tried to uninstall that part the uninstall shield would run but wouldnt remove the program. Then when i tried to install the file install process would flash up really quickly without actaully installing the game.???

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks for the previous help.

did you get mohaa to work after if so how did u do it because i am having the same problem sort of

I experienced the same thing recently...
100GB Western Digital 7200RPM drive.

Fdisk would only recognize 30GB
I figured what the hell... lets see what happens.
I left the partition @ 30, then formatted and loaded Win98SE.
When the machine loaded the 1st time, Win98 did recognize the full capacity (100GB).

Thanks for the help everyone.

MATTCSC: i used a regedit tool after unistalling MOHAA. its called regvac, its pretty good as it removed all the unused registry entries.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back