Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detect changes prior updating the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

uuthanh

Programmer
Dec 27, 2002
US
Hi Experts,

How do I detect any changes to the field since last time I view it on the web form before updating it?

Here's my problem:

I'm developing a trouble ticket system in multi-user enviroment. user 1 is going to update a "notes" field, in that meantime, user 2 already modified it. So without seeing new update from user 2, user 1 accidentally owerwrites it.

Is there a way to inform user 1 when he click on "Save Notes" button that the field was modified since last time he views it??

Please help!

That are several methods used to solve this problem. here is one:

When reading data for update, store the "last updated time" value. Check this value against the database before updating.

Design, design.

Thank you for responding, Dimandja!

I'm using sqlDataAdapter1, sqlConnection1, DsNotes1. Is there any built-in function or property from dataset or dataadapter to detect this? My problem is very common in the web (disconnected) environment, has Microsoft developed anything from their .NET to do this?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back