Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detailed power specs for UPS config, full blown MICS/NAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phonehed

Programmer
Apr 25, 2006
US
First I'd like to thank Jerry Reeve (and give him yet another star) for the valuable information he provided for us on this subject back in '09 (details re-posted below).

I'm not sure where this information came from but I noticed that it didn't include a couple of items that I'm looking for now such as a DTI card, a Fast RAD and a Caller ID analog line card. Anybody?

I'm trying to recommend the correct unit for one of my biggest customers and they are extremely dependent on their aging, full blown MICS/NAM system with 8 digital station modules, 1 trunk mod & 1 ASM.

I'd like to make sure they can go at least 4 to 6 hours before the Smart UPS shuts itself down and they also need enough reserve power to add a few more (low wattage) devices later on if necessary.

I'm thinkin' one of the new APC 1500 models with an additional battery pack will do but still lack a few figures for an accurate calculation.

Thanks again Jerry! This should come in real handy for a lot of folks so I thought I'd quote you on it if I may:
jerryreeve (Vendor)
2 Feb 09 15:09
1. add up the watts for each line item below:

Power consumption for a Norstar 0x32 is:
0x32 KSU 80 watts
Add 60 watts for each analog station module
Add 20 watts for each additional station module
Add 20 watts for each additional trunk module
Add 15 watts for each DID card
Add 10 Watts for each ATA
Add 5 watts for each SAPS
Subtract .5 watts for each digital set (less than maximum sets) not installed

Add 5 Watts for each Call Pilot 100
Add 7 Watts for each Call Pilot 150
Add 25 watts for each Startalk flash
Add 50 Watts for Norstar Voicemail 1DVC
Add 60 Watts for Norstar Voicemail 2DVC
Add 70 Watts for Norstar Voicemail 3DVC
Add 80 Watts for Norstar Voicemail 4DVC
Note: DVC: Digital Voice Card,

2. goto 3. answer each of the 9 questions and hit refresh...

Phonehed in Dallas

That's already in our FAQ's section:

RAD PS 5.4 watts

I wouldn't worry to much about the cards, the calculator assumes full of cards:

1500 is plenty or even this 1000 setup for 6 hours:
SUA1000XL + (2)SUA24XLBP

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Correction:

I'm doing this preliminary calculation from memory and I forgot that I disconnected that trunk module last year and moved the one and only remaining analog line card over to the ksu to make room for an additional station mod.

I know for sure that the only two remaining ports on the second expansion card were the Companion (...choking hard...) cellular ports, so after that last reconfig I'm pretty sure that left them with 8 digital station mods, the NAM and 1 M 0x8 A (plus 2 SAPS, a RAD & a couple of ATAs for anyone who may actually be following this mundane drivel).

Phonehed in Dallas

Aha...another little tidbit of value in my quest!

Thanks Curly! I figured the cards were probably not a big factor cuz there's only one of each in this particular system but now that Tek-Tips seems to be the only real Norstar think tank & information bank outside of (...choking hard again...) Avaya, I thought I'd see if anyone here could help me nail down the last few variables that don't seem to be easily found in any of my Norstar installation manuals or CDs.

Did you find that rating on the back of the RAD or the RAD ps or maybe the RAD product literature by any chance?

Phonehed in Dallas

Whoops, I overlooked your first link to the RAD in the FAQ section there Curly.

I wonder if Jerry remembers where he found that list he presented back in '09??? :)

Phonehed in Dallas

Just a suggestion, as I was recently estimating/measuring power consumpton on something totally unrelated, after looking up specs and checking nameplates, I plugged the load into a Kill-A-Watt power monitor. Thinking I might go and put it on my Norstar (MICS 0X23 + ASM) next and compare its figures with the actual 2-hr runtime on my APC UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back