Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detail Section of MS Access Report has blank pages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfcj

Programmer
May 7, 2002
US
The report has seven pages for a particular service order number. Pages 1-4 and page 7 have data in all sections. Page 5 and 6 are blank in the detail section. The report is 7" wide with left and right margins of .5". I am printing to 8.5X11 paper. The report is based on a query that gets data from three tables. Each table is indexed by the the service order number. Table 1 and 2 have one record per service order and table 3 has many records. Table 3 has personnel entries and equipment entries with a date, id# and hours worked for each record. The report sorts by date, type(personnel or equipment) and id#. All personnel records print in the left 4 columns and equipment records print in the right 4 columns until records are exhausted. On the seven page report personnel records print until page 3 when there is no more on personnel records. Equipment records continue to print until the end of page 4 when there is no more equipment records. The report should print the report footer section on page 5 but does not. Page 5 and 6 detail sections are blank and the report footer prints on page 7, which is the last page printed. I have set can grow and can shrink to yes for the detail section. What is causing the blank pages? Thanks for any help.

Maybe I should add some more info to my request. The query produces records which print correctly, but between where the good data prints and the page footer prints, there are two pages with blank detail sections. Please I do really need someone to take a look at this problem.
Thanks

jfcj
Is this a normal page setup, or in columns? It almost sounds as if extra column stuff is being added.

Two things to check...

1. Do you have any blank space left over in the Detail section following the last control? If so, make sure and pull the bottom edge of the section up to the bottom of the last control.

2. Are you sure there isn't something that is pushing the width of the page out past 7.5 inches? Perhaps a line that prints at the end of the Detail section, or something such as that.

Tom

Tom,
thanks for your reply.
I have checked the detail section and no extra space at the bottom in design view. I have normal page setup with it set to 1 column but actually the report prints 8 columns,(date, type, id#, hours, date, type, id# and hours). However when I change page setup to 8 columns (.25"/column), the report prints data on the right side beyond the correct data.
With page setup as 1 column, on page 3 the left hand "4 columns" stops printing because there is no more data--no more personnel records. On page 4 nothing prints on the left hand side (see above: no more data) and the right hand "4 columns" does not print to the botton of the page because again there is no more equipment records. Then page 5 and page 6 have blank detail section. On Page 5 and 6 the page footer prints at the bottom okay. Also on Page 7 the report footer prints in the detail section and the page footer prints at the bottom okay.
Hope you can help me figure this out!!

jfcj
This seems pretty weird, doesn't it? And it's hard for me to visualize exactly why what you are experiencing is happening.

The only way I could look further is if you could send me a small sample of your database...providing there is no sensitive data that you don't want other eyes to see.

If you want me to have a go at it, send something to me at "twatson*at*sentex.net" (removing the quotes and the asterisks).

One other thought is that sometimes Name AutoCorrect plays havoc with things. Do you have it turned off? If not, try that before you do anything else.

Tom

The solution to this problem was to change the approach, and use 2 subreports - one for personnel, one for equipment - and place them side by side in the report.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back