Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

destination folder access denied: you need permision to perform this a 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay12321

Programmer
Oct 7, 2009
GB
Sometimes, most of the time i reaaaly hate vista.

all i want to do is delete a file. please tell me how to control my own machine.

.. i am on my laptot - vista home.

p.s it is not user accounts, i have already disabled it.

I'm unclear- what 'destination folder' would be applicable to deleting a file? Where (path) is the file that you're trying to delete and what method are you trying to use to delete it?

its on my usb.

i click on it - then i press delete.

destination folder = recycle bin

I suspect that this external usb drive is formatted NTFS and the partition was created on some other system. Despite the fact that you have a single 'recycle bin' icon on your desktop, each drive partition has its own folder for 'recycled' files. Your permissions settings are probably wrong for that folder on the usb drive.

In the Windows Explorer Tools menu, set the Folder Options settings to 'Show hidden files and folders' and not 'Hide protected operating sytem files'. You should now see a $RECYCLE.BIN folder on your external usb drive. Right click on that folder, choose Properties, and go to the Security tab. First, use the Advanced button & Owner tab to take ownership. If that doesn't take care of the problem, we'll need to manually set the individual NTFS security permissions.

That doesent seem to work.

also the link "take ownership" did not work.

the file i am trying to delete is a program called ReadyBoost.sfcache of of my toshiba usp stick. if that helps.

Thanks for helping.... Jay

The take ownership link works for me, but it doesn't matter.

If we're talking about a flash drive and not an external hard drive what I wrote above doesn't apply. However, the correct way to remove ReadyBoost is to right-click on the drive letter for this drive, select Properties and go to the ReadyBoost tab. Choose 'Do not use this device'

Thats the kiddie.

Thanks for all your help smah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back