Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desperately need help with updating templates!!! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2001
US
Hello everyone. I am having a problem and am wondering if anyone else has experienced it too, or if anyone knows how to fix it.

In ultradev, I have defined a site, created a template, defined the editable and non-editable regions, and used the template to create all of the pages for that site using "File-New from template".

When I need to make a change to a particular part of the site, I make the change, and then update the site. Dreamweaver goes through the motions, and in the log it shows that it has updated all of the pages that are using the template (which is all of them) but when I pull up
the pages in my browser, the update didn't work.

I have checked the code in all of the pages, and the editable regions all look ok and are defined.

I have tried making my changes to both the template as well as one of the pages, and then updating them but nothing's working.

Has anyone had this problem or knows of a solution? I have a friend who is experiencing the same problem. Are we doing something wrong?

Thanks so much! Monica

Is the code updated on the server? If not then you might want to try manually uploading it, but this is a pain I'm sure.
If it isn't, you've tried refreshing the browser haven't you? ; )

No no no. I'm not pulling it up in the browser off the server. I am pulling it up locally from the folder on my computer. You're actually the second person who's said that. I think maybe I worded that part of my post a little weird. Sorry about that. :)

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Monica

Sorry, excuse me for being dumb. So when you checked the code on your computer, it was updated? Or not? pardon me, not quite getting what's happening there.

Right, I had a proper look at it, only thing was I had to make sure I saved the template after making the changes, whereupon it asks me for updates, you then make the appropriate selections, it goes through and changes the files, even if they are open, and you have to save them again if they were open.

This is exactly what you did right? You saved the template yah, and didn't go directly to Modify... Templates... Update thingies right?

Please tell me if I am patronising you...

Yeah...

I think you just forgot to save the page. Same thing happened to me but I reallized that you could only see the changes if they were saved...

So basically, just make sure you save

I have had similar problems. Sometimes the cache memory needs emptying in your browser. Just a thought.
Also on a similar note, when i downloaded to my website, the changes didnt occur because my providers proxy server didnt register the changes in time (!).. so i shut off the proxy and hej presto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back