Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desperate for formula help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2002
US
I have built a database that tracks work efficiencies. I collect the product number, date, quantity required, quantity produced, number in crew, start time, end time, set up time, and goal time. I have a forumla in a query that calculates the difference between start and end times. However I need to account for lunch breaks for first and second shifts. I can do this in excel by comparing the start time and end time to fixed references (absolute values for lunch start and end-11:30am to 12:00pm, and 9:30 pm to 10:00 pm). I have searched until I am blue in the face and have not been able to figure out how to do this in Access. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
gjeffcoat

what is the formula in excel? let's see the formula and how you're doing it in excel.

In my Excel spreadsheet, I have 4 cells set up with the following times: 11:30 AM, 12:00 PM, 9:30 PM and 10:00 PM.
The formula to check for lunch1 is: =IF(f7<=$A$1,IF(G7>$b$1,30,0),0). Colums F and G are start and end times, respectively. To check for second shift lunch, I use the same formula, but substitute the cell reference for 9:30 and 10:00 =IF(G17=$G$1,IF(H7>$H$1,30,0),0). I have these formulas in separate columns (lunch1, lunch2). I could not create a single formula that checked for both lunch times. I am entering the time values by hand in both excel and access. Formatting in excel is "00:00:00 AM". Access appears to be formatted the same way. However, I just realized that I do not have an input mask specified. Don't know if this makes a difference.

gjeffcoat

In access you may use the IIf function.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

you can set up those cell items in the same table:
with these columns:

lunch1_beg lunch1_end lunch2_beg lunch2_end
11:30 12:00 9:30 10:00
or as numbers 11.5, 12, 9.5, 10
you can have these input as a prompt too.

THank you PHV! Took me a while to get the syntax, but your solution works like a charm. Now, if I can get just a bit more help, I need to know how to write the DateDiff formula to subtract lunch time. Right now I have this: Minutes:DateDiff("n",[StartTime],[EndTime]). Where do I put the check for lunch time and also, since we have 2 shifts, how do I indicate that?

Thanks,
gjeffcoat

Something like this ?
Minutes:DateDiff("n",[StartTime],[EndTime])-IIf([StartTime]<#10:00:00# AND [EndTime]>#09:30:00#,30,0)-IIf([StartTime]<#12:00:00# AND [EndTime]>#11:30:00#,30,0)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

THANKS PHV:
Your formula worked like a charm. I really appreciate your help.

Gjeffcoat

Okay, here I am with my hat in my hand. I have another question. The formula PHV gave me works as long as the time does not go past 11:59 pm. When it does, I get a negative answer. What do I need to do to this formula to get the correct number of minutes that have elapsed?
--------
Minutes: DateDiff("n",[StartTime],[EndTime])-IIf([StartTime]<#11:30:00 AM# And [EndTime]>#12:00:00 PM#,30,0)-IIf([StartTime]<#9:30:00 PM# And [EndTime]>#10:00:00 PM#,30,0)
--------
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
gjeffcoat

I think you better add the following function in a module to handle this:

Code:
Public Function Shift(ByVal startTime As Date, ByVal endTime As Date) As Date
Dim lunch1_beg  As Date
Dim lunch1_end  As Date
Dim lunch2_beg  As Date
Dim lunch2_end  As Date
    lunch1_beg = #11:30:00 AM#
    lunch1_end = #12:00:00 PM#
    lunch2_beg = #9:30:00 PM#
    lunch2_end = #10:00:00 PM#
    If endTime < startTime Then endTime = DateAdd("d", 1, endTime)
    Shift = endTime - startTime
    If startTime < lunch1_beg And endTime > lunch1_end Then
        Shift = Shift - lunch1_end + lunch1_beg
    End If
    If startTime < lunch2_beg And endTime > lunch2_end Then
        Shift = Shift - lunch2_end + lunch2_beg
    End If
    ' In the unlike event that a night shift could also end after the first lunch on the next day you should also add:
    If endTime > DateAdd("d", 1, lunch1_end) Then
        Shift = Shift - lunch1_end + lunch1_beg
    End If
End Function

Hans8823,

Thanks for your response! I will give this a try.

gjeffcoat

Hans8823

Thank you so much for your help. I had to make a couple of changes to your code to get the result in minutes. I really appreciate your help.

FYI: These are the changes I made:
Public Function Shift......As Integer
First Shift line from Shift=endtime-starttime to Shift=DateDiff("n", StartTime,EndTime)
and, Shift=Shift -lunch1_end+lunch1_beg to Shift = Shift-30.

Again, I want to thank you. Now I can complete this database. BTW this is my first time working with a module.

gjeffcoat

Your welcome,

I've build lots of 'planning' tools, so I know the problems that come up...

Sometimes it's easier to build a simple function like this in a module, instead of creating un almost unreadable SQL statement.

I wasn't sure if you wanted the shift in a date format, very good that you managed to change the code in a couple of minutes to your needs...

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back