Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DESPERATE! #Deleted in all fields when saving new row

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpolony

Programmer
Aug 9, 2003
US
When users try to save a new row, all of the fields change to "#Deleted", and the application becomes corrupted, ie, global variables are lost, error messages occur when they try to do anything else, and the user has to quit the app and get back in. The row actually saves, but the user doesn't realize it. It appears to happen right after acCmdSaveRecord, because all of the code in my save function following that statement does not execute. HELP!!!! This keeps recurring, but not consistently, and I have no idea what is causing it (nor can I personally reproduce it!). THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

About the only time you need to use the acCmdSaveRecord command is when you have to run some code against a record and you need to save it first. You don't as a general rule ever have to force a save on a record so the user doesn't lose it. Access is very good at saving records no matter how you close out a form or app. With that said, it sounds like your db is corrupt. You might want to try importing everything into a new Db and see how that goes. Usually if it's a corrupt record in a Table, the Table won't import into the new Db. It will stop there and spit out an error message. That makes finding the problem a little easier.

Paul

This is running with a Sybase back end. Would this corruption be likely since it's not an Access db?

Also, for clarification, this happens on all different types of tables, not just one. I had heard that there is an access bug that causes this, but I could not find any helpful information on MS's website, as none of the scenarios they described matched mine.

I'm not sure I can export all of the Sybase data to an mdb as it's pretty voluminous, but I'll try. Any additional suggestions by anyone still gladly accepted.

Thanks for the suggestion.

If it's running Sybase on the BE then I wouldn't bother importing into a new Db. At that point I'm not sure what to tell you. Why are you using the DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

Paul

I have an access 2000 app writing to a linked jet db on the server. I am experiencing the same problems only with a 'write conflict - this record has been...' popup that gives me a chance to save or discard the changes. If I elect to save, the table gets corrupted. I am guity of changing the values in bound controls programmatically in 2 subforms that are both bound to the same data from another unbound subform on the same form. This creates the record conflict. What is strange is that I did not begin experiencing it until after disabling nameautocorrect on the general tab under tools/options. I don't havee a solution yet, but thought I'd mention possible contriguting elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back