Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desperate Canon User

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpaverd

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
Hi All,

We normally use HP printers in all our client environments, but one of our clients uses a Canon ImageRunner 210PS.... Printer was working perfectly until we installed a new server and changed the IP subnet...

No problem, or so I thought, go into the printer setup and change the printer into the new subnet et voila!

That was 4 weeks ago...! The printer still does not print. It copies just fine. I can ping it on the network, I have tried every single driver from the original to the latest ones on the Canon website.

Called in the local Canon tech support who tried the original drivers and stated that there must be a problem with our server.

Client unhappy in the extreme.

Any suggestions? The printer installs cleanly, but irrespective of the driver, when I send the test page it almost immediately pops up the message "This document failed to print"

Interestingly enough the Status of the printer is continuously changing every 10 seconds or so it shows Error-Printing, then this changes to "Printing" and then changesd back to Error Printing. At the same time, the files size of the test page changes from 64KB/72.1KB to 72.1KB/72.1KB

Any help would be appreciated - operating system is Small Business Server 2003 SP1

Many thanks

Purge everything regarding that printer from the server and recreate it from scratch. Don't just delete the printer, make sure the port is gone and delete the driver.

Sounds like the 'handler' (I don't know what windows calls them, they're 'gateways' to most systems) became corrupt with the IP change.

Thanks for the input.

I tried deleting everything, including the drivers etc. I even tried disconnecting the printer from the network, setting up a static IP address in the same subnet on my laptop and connecting to the printer via a crosssover cable and installing the drivers under XP - still no success...!

Any other suggestions - much appreciated

When you had it off-network, did you still get the Status toggling back and forth?

Sounds like whatever that Cannon uses as a NIC is bad/misconfigured. Have you verified the addy/mask on the printer? Can you reset to factory defaults and start over configuring the printer?

Could you take in a laptop and a router/switch and create yourself a mini network to test it in ?,

Have you verified the network cabling between it and the server ?, have you plugged it into a 100meg only port as it is likely to be a 10 meg only device ?, check you arent using a crossover cable too as it doesnt support mdix i dont think ?

Thanks for the response...

Yes to all of the above. I have connected it directly to the switch into which rh=the server is connected. I have set up my laptop in the same subnet, connected via a crossover cable and installed the printer drivers on the laptop all with the same result.

I also replaced the whole switch infrastructure with standard switches of same manufacture - but I have not tried a 10Mb hub - will try that as well

At this stage, I am considering getting a long parallel cable and connecting directly to the server - not certain if one can get parallel cables to run the 35 feet that would be required....

And the most frustrating part is that it was working perfectly previously - all we did was to change the server and the network subnet...

thats quite unusual, it does look like the internal NIC has failed,

Can you put it on an external network card like a jetdirect or similar to test it ?, have you plugged into your laptop through the parallel port to check if its working that way ?

the maximum recommended length for a parallel lead is 10 feet, 35 feet is way too long and you will experience corrupted data and random loss of characters in the middle of documents, You could try a parallel booster if you really want to go over 10 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back