Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desltop PC restarts. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jspelthorne

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
GB
Hello every 1,
My college brought some second hand PCs probably 3 years old or more, with amd k62 500mhz processors, i have upgraded the ram to 256mb and created new images for them, they are running win 2k, i know these are low spec but thats all the college could aford at the time, a few of them seem to restart on there own, what do you think could be causing this? i have replaced the bios battery on some of them, but not sure if its going to help?

Thanks for any help given.

Regards
James.

Hmmm, hard to say on the evidence what may be causing the crashes, but the os is probably set to reboot on failure.
If you right click on "my computer" then choose properties, and then select the "advanced" tab, you will see a button to select "startup and recovery". Click this and you will see an option to turn the automatic reboot off. Make sure that "write an event to the system log" is checked.
Now when the problem happens you might be able to see an error message. Also check the system log for any errors recorded there.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Thanks for the help RocKeRFelLerZ. With out sounding stupid, where is the system log file? i thought it was on the root of C: found 1 called log.txt, and it just said opening..done..? looked on another PC on the root and could not find any log file, checked that "write an event to the system log" was checked.

Cheers

J.

look in event viewer (run eventvwr.msc). It may give you some clues, though generally I find it less than helpful!

Would suspect you have a hardware problem on the restarting machines - RAM is good place to start (if > 1 stick, try running with each stick on its own).

Also - when you say you created new images - do you mean you've loaded the same cloned 2k image on each machine? And if so, are they all similar enough hardware wise for this to be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back