Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop, Workstation, Server! Which one? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmanleygen

Programmer
Apr 8, 2004
US
I know this may be the wrong place but I couldn't find a general server forum.

I'm hoping to set up a home/small business server.
But what do I need?

I've built a couple of PCs in my time but never got into networking and I believe it’s about time.

[red]What is the difference between a desktop, workstation and server?[/red]
If I want to setup a small little server, can I just use a PC, should I be looking at a workstation or do I look at a small server?

I thought this would be an easy question but it’s difficult to find information on which is best.
What I am looking for, from the server, would be a file sharing service, network 2 PC's and an iBook, networked printer, web server and backup for everything else.

The idea was to have my broadband connection feeding into a firewalled router, Ethernet connection to the server, wireless router from the server to everything else.

I was hoping that the server would be remote as I plan on putting it under the stairs. (You know that little corner that gets filled with bits and pieces over the years, I have a new house and I have got the sparcky to put electrical supply and a cable connection in there for this reason alone!)

If anybody could lead me to some information on what kind of specification I would need from the server that would be great.
If anybody has suggestions on a better approach that would be even better!

Thank you,
Derry

In a nutshell:

Desktop PC--general purpose computing device, suitable for everything from grandma organizing her recipes, to junior's heavy gaming appetite. Configuration options are near limitless, price is low, redundancy is non-existant.

Workstation--Once upon a time, these generally consisted of RISC based minicomputers used for high end computing. This is no longer the case. A modern workstation is usually just a beefier desktop PC that has bells and whistles related to performance and reliability. Things like multiple CPUs, redundant power supplies, built in SCSI RAID controllers, etc. Often equipped with VERY high end display hardware. Most commonly, you will see this on the desks of engineers at places like Boeing, or on the desks of animators at outfits like Pixar. Price significantly higher than desktop PCs, but you get what you pay for.

Server--Generally speaking, a server is any computer that provides a service to a remote user. However, when we say "server" in this context, we are normally discussing computers adapted specifically for the purpose. Many come in rack-mountable configurations, and even the "tower" configurations are often rack-mountable. In general, they are adapted for performance, reliability, and remote management. At the performance level, we're talking built in SCSI (and/or RAID) controllers, multiple CPU capability, the ability to accept scads of RAM, etc. All sorts of fault tolerant options are available--multiple power supplies, ECC RAM, hot spare hard drives, hot spare RAM, multiple NICs, etc. Some companies (including Dell) sell machines they call "servers" but are really just glorified desktop PCs. Dell's "Poweredge SC" line is a good example of this. Expensive--a large database server specced out to handle a mission critical application for thousands of users could easily exceed $50k in price.

For your application, a desktop PC is a good fit--file and print sharing for a mere two clients, along with (presumably) light web serving. Make sure the machine has a decent CPU and a reasonable amount of RAM, and you're set. I would also make sure your cupboard under the stairs (you don't have a kid with a lightning shaped scar on his head in there, do you?) is well ventilated.

Derry said:
What is the difference between a desktop, workstation and server? I thought this would be an easy question but it’s difficult to find information on which is best.
That's because what you're asking is a lot like asking "How deep is the ocean?" The answer is the same too, "It depends."

Desktops are used by your average Joe to do basic office tasks with. They're generally lower powered with less RAM and slower IDE or SATA disk subsystems, and they have no hardware redundancy.

Workstations are desktops on steroids. More RAM, faster SATA or SCSI disk systems, beefier graphics cards. Generally used by gamers, CAD/GIS people, and engineers who run very processor and disk intensive programs. Critical systems sometimes use RAID disk arrays for redundancy.

Servers are used on critical systems. These are very high quality machines with lots of RAM, RAID disk arrays, and usually redundant fans and power supplies. Graphics cards on servers tend to be low-end.

Having said that, I use 2 Dell GX-270 desktops in my "server farm". One runs SuSE linux 9.0 hosting Apache2 for our internal websites, the other runs Novell Netware 6.5 hosting the tape decks and backup software for our network. Why desktops? Budget. I'd rather have these tasks on better hardware, but the truth is both sets of software are easy to rebuild if they crash. The desktops have enough horsepower and speed for the job they're performing.

Judging by what you desire from a server, a decent desktop with plenty of RAM should work well for you.

Please realize that everybody has differing opinions of what makes up the types of machines. This is my opinion, and I have my asbestos suit on for when others flame me for it ;)

Thank you both for that,
I'm not going crasy.
I was thinking about a refurbished Poweredge SC Server and looking at the specs I couldn't see the difference to a Desktop PC!

Is there anything that I should look for in regard to reliability and remote management i.e. how do you make a normal PC preform on a continous basis with out sitting in front of it and tweaking things constantly?

I was reading something about fault detection, voltage control, heating etc. is this all necessary what do i need to think about in terms of hardware to help ease the maintenance of this little PC?

I can easily patch together a PC from bits and bump up the specs as needed when things start expanding.

I already thought of the ventileation (and sound proofing).
Teh space is going to be doubled lined with egg carton style sheets for sound proofing and I'm going to be using the external wall as a heat sink with vents on the door as well as a Fan on the door!

I realy do get carried away with this stuff!

Thank you for you responce!

If you want this may be intresting.

Lawnboy - I wouldn't flame anyone for what they choose to run in different capacities. We've just been running a Dell XP Pro desktop as a server for 6 months, serving 6 people including a graphic designer.

Finally I got approval for a server and we've just put one in. The only real reasons I want a server in there are peace of mind - fast, hot swappable scsi drives, and 4hr response if it all goes a bit pear shaped, whixh you just don't get on a desktop. The desktop had performed OK, but if anything had gone wrong with it, I would have had a much harder job on my hands to get back up and running.

dmanleygen - I would make your decision based on how much you would be stuffed if you couldn't get at that data! Look for ways of backing up inexpensively, based on the volume of data you will have to backup, for example is weekly CD backup enough, or will it be gigs of data each night?

I would also think about NOT using the server to provide a net connection. If the server has a problem then you have no instant web access to get help. If each machine connects independently to a firewall/router, you stand a better chance.

HTH

Mike

stussy said:
The only real reasons I want a server in there are peace of mind
Exactly what I was trying to get across.

Stussy, thank for that.
I will have en external 300 Gb HHD available and I plan on having that as my back up system while also using some off site storage for weekly/monthly critical back up via DVD.

About the internet connection, thank you for that as I only know what i do know form the internet. If the system went down I would never be able to get it back.

Could I have my internet connection connected to a router/swtch then on to the rest of the home and have the server as an aside?

There is a little picture on this page. I think this is what I'd like to do , with the "to LAN" as the server and use the wireless router for everything else

This is what I'm think I'll end up with??? (Click on the link and click on "Free" at the bottom of the table)

Or am I getting it all wrong!

I really need to go away and read loads!!!

Thank you for all your help.

Derry

Could I have my internet connection connected to a router/swtch then on to the rest of the home and have the server as an aside?
Sure. Pick up a cheap 4 port linksys hub and put it where the firewall, server, and WAP tee off from each other. There's no other way to connect those wires anyway, you have to put a hub/switch there. Firewall into port 1, server into port 2, WAP into port 3 and you're all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back