Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi. I have a question. When I right click on my desktop and change my background image, the image appears fine. But, when I restart my computer or shutdown and restart, the wallpaper reverts back to the first original wallpaper. What can I do to prevent this? Thanks. (-:

MAL

Is this computer on a network? If so, is your profile a mandatory profile.

:p

Yes, this computer is on a network. Is my profile a mandatory profile? My profile equals the admin profile if thats what you mean. I'm using Win2000 as my daily OS that I use on my PC. :-D

You have a mandatory profile which means that everytime you logon, your desktop will look the same no matter how many changes you make to it.

How can I check to see if my profile is mandatory?

your Profile will have .man extentsion instead of .dat

\yourprofilefolder\ntuser.man
instead of
\yourprofilefolder\ntuser.dat

you'll need to know where your profile is stored, local or remote to see it.

Also there might be policy setting.
Don't save settings at exit.
That might do it too.

If my profile is store locally, where will I find it?

C:\winnt\profiles is where you can find the locally stored profile.

This might be a solution. Was your first background a .bmp image and was the second a .jpg image. If this is so you needed to turn active desktop on which allows .jpg images to be used as background images. When you shut down, active desktop is turned off and you see the original .bmp image.

Tried saving the image as a .bmp file instead of a .jpg but still didn't save the setting when I restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back