Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop wallpaper - weird problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezEling

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2004
GB
Hi All,

I have a laptop which has a really weird problem, it came in with all it's appearence messed up, sorted that the usual way. All that I am left with now is a white desktop and no matter what I do it will not change. I have tried setting pictures, changing the colours and hacking the registry but all to no avail, can anyone suggest as to how I might get the good old blue back without me having to recreate the user profile.

Many thanks

Jez.

Persoanlly I would try:

1) Reinstalling the graphics card
2) System Restore to before the problem was apparent

Check to see if the problem is there when logged in as another user - this will tell you if it is the laptop or the user profile.

Thanks.

Gavin.

Log in as another administrator user. Delete the NTUSER.DAT for the defective user. Log back in as the defective user. It should create a default NTUSER.DAT. You may loose any personal settings that user had. If this is on a network and the user has a profile directory you may need to delete the NTUSER.DAT in that directory also.

Is it a problem with Active Desktop?

If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure that "Show Web content on my Active Desktop" is unchecked.

Microsoft Windows XP users

Open the Control Panel.
Open Display Properties.
Click the Desktop tab.
Click the Customize Desktop button.
Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.
If you wish to enable the Active Desktop, check "My Current Home Page". Add your current home page into your desktop or click New to add another web page and/or other Active Desktop features. To update the content, click the Synchronize button.

If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back