Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Wallpaper Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coley88

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I can't seem to set my desktop wallpaper properly. After purchasing a new wallpaper for my desktop (as I usually do every week or so), it was too big and squashed so there for I went in to the Control Panel, then Display.

I then found that for unknown reasons I now only have half as many tabs as I used to at the top of the box (only the Screensaver and Settings tabs). I used to have the Desktop tab (which is the one where I can stretch and centre the wallpaper, etc). The Appearance, Desktop and Themes tabs are also missing. Here's what I mean...

Wallpaper_Probs.jpg

I'd be very grateful if any of you could help me on getting the display tab back or let me know if there's any other way on how to change my desktop wallpaper settings.

Thanks very much,

Dale

1. Ad/Remove programs - remove the new screen saver.
2. See if "System Restore" will get you back to before the problem started.
3. If all else fails, try: Start - run - (type) sfc /scannow. Have your XP CD handy.

As a side note you may still have access to the tab's windows by opening Display Properties (as per your image) and using Ctrl+Page Down (or up).

"micker377" offers the proper solution.

Why do you buy wallpaper when there are millions out there on the internet?

For your problem, can't you open a jpeg in Internet explorer or MS Paint and say set as wallpaper centered or tiled?

I just cleaned/fixed a system this morning that had the same problem along with the background(or desktop) being a html file and kinda flashing. I couldn't get to the display properties by right clicking on the desktop I had to get to it from the control panel.

check this thread.

The tabs can also be removed by Group Policy or registry edits. Is your PC part of a corporate network? If so check that your administrator has not restricted the use of these tabs.

If your machine is standalone then check the following.

Download the following registry file regs_edits/restorealldisplaytabs.reg

When Downloaded double click and accept the warning, this will restore the registry settings that could cause the problem.

If you set the "Use Classic Shell" in GP, it hides that desktop tab. The exact path for that flag is: GP: User Configuration/ Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Explorer/Turn off Classic Shell.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back