Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop shortcuts slow to respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtonto

Technical User
Apr 18, 2005
GB
Hello everyone, Running windows xp home addition and have a 2.2meg bt broadband connection.I am currently experiencing some strange behaviour with some of my desktop shortcuts. When I double click, for instance, google shortcut, it might take 3/4 minutes to activate. Similarly, opening all folders. Some shortcuts seem unaffected. Any help much appreciated. Foxtonto.

Hi all again. Is there really nobody out there who can help? PLEASE. It's driving me bonkers.

If you open the programs directly from their location , does it produce the same problem? What is the size of your user profile? (under control panenl ->system -> advanced -> user profiles )

One or two things to look at.

819017 - Long Delay Before Files Appear in My Computer in Windows XP

819101 - Temporary Decline in Performance Occurs When You Right-Click a File or Folder in Windows Explorer

files accessed slow through my computer and not shortcuts
thread779-647815

MY computer slow
thread779-854656

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

My thanks to RMGBELGUIM,ECKY 1021 and linney. Will try all your suggestions over the week-end. Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back