Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop shortcuts not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theharvester

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
A friend has a computer running XP pro that will not open shortcuts from the desktop with a double (left) mouse click. They will open with a right click/open. Everything outside of the desktop the double left click works fine. I searched here and M.S.K.B. but found nothing. Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Harvey.

Does double click work elswhere? Could the mouse setting for double click rate be so fast that it can't be done?

Everything outside of the desktop works as it should IE internet, and windows explorer etc. Just on the desktop.

I can't seem to find anything for exactly these symptoms either, so I have a few more questions:
[ol][li]Does this occur with only shortcuts to executable files or programs? In other words, will a folder on the desktop open properly by double clicking or will that not work as well? How about an IE shortcut to a website URL?[/li]
[li]If new shortcuts are created for the same applications, does the same thing happen with the new ones?[/li]
[li]What about non-shortcut items, like Recycle Bin, My Computer, IE? Do these also exhibit this problem?[/li][/ol]

Forgot one.....

4. Has any 'tweaking' application been installed - like TweakUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back