Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

desktop security 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmlane

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
US
I am setting up a Win2k lab. I don't want my users (domain users) to be able to save to the desktop. Without using mandatory roaming profiles, how can I deny this access to users who have as of yet not looged onto a praticular machine. The "Don't Save Settings on Exit" policy does not pertain to files on the desktop. Thank you for your help.

make the Desktop Folder Read-only ..

You can find this folder in Document and Setting , Under the User they log into ..

Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

There are actually two desktop folders that cause all users see items on the desktop. One is the desktop folder for all users, that one is easy to lock down via permissions. The other folder is the desktop folder for a users particular profile. My question is how to lock this folder down before it is even created. As this is a lab environment and I have over 700 potential users, I do not want to go to each individual machine and change permissions for each individual desktop folder (not to mention that until someone logs onto a machine, they don't even have a profile on that computer). Thanks, but try again.

Mandatory is a solution ,, or you have to use Login Script .. !

I have another Idea ,, why you don't let them log in 1 profile !

all who use this machine use the user : bla bla ,, and the password : bla bla ..

Then they all will use the same local profile which has a read-only desktop folder !
Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back