Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DeskTop Physicals? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowley58

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

I made the time honoured mistake of assuming that I knew all about what I was about to do. :eek:)

Basically I want to upgrade a few 1999 model desktop PCs (with desktop cases) to modern stuff. This involves mobo+CPU+PSU replacement. So I need about 400 watt PSU. Looking at the dimensions of this desktop case (Siemens Scenic 300) it seems to me that all the PSUs I've seen won't fit. Do I need a PSU sized to fit a desltop?

John..

You would be better off replacing the cases as well, I don't think the new boards will all fit in those old desktop cases.
If the are name brands like compaq or whatever then probably not as they are very proprietary with their hardware. The front panel connections to the old cases probably won't work either.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Requires all sorts of jury-rigging to get things to fit, including mounting standoffs in new locations and possibly breaking old ones out. And splicing cables. And then possibly new power supplies because the old one was probably sized to run the M/B you are pulling.
I've done my share, but the frustration has finally got to me. New case and PS is just about automatic now.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Don't mess around, as others have said, new cases.
You can still get desktops if that suits but cooling isn't as good and these new parts are going to generate more heat.
If reliability is essential then spend the extra $$'s for quality power supplies (they don't have to be expensive Antecs) we have had very good results from these new Qtech 400watt "Big Fan" units (very quiet) and a third of the price of an Antec or Enermax.
Add at least one extra case fan (ball bearing not sleave bearing)
Finally go Intel for work but don't be tempted to go Celeron (they are extremely low performing)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

I have ordererd new midi towers and PSUs etc.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back