Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop no show after longon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2004
US
I have a user on a Dell that when you logon to the PC the icons and start menu do not show up. The desktop background shows up fine.

Is there a fix for this or do I need to update or reinstall?

If you happen to be using Novell, I believe they have a fix out for this. I experienced this once with a WinXP Pro machine running the Novell client, and after applying the fix, haven't seen it again.

I saw a similar thing on my neighbors computer. He called me over and I could not believe my eyes. There was not start button or menu bar. I thought for sure he had a virus. I put Stinger on a CD from my machine and ran it but no virus.

It turned that he had SP2 automatically downloaded via Software Update Service and he had Norton Antivirus with Norton Firewall. XP Firewall and XP firewall were conflicting. I uninstalled SP2 and it was okay for an hour or so. As soon as I Live Update of Norton Antivirus the system went right back into the same state. He had a Compaq Presario I think. I ended up taking out his drive putting it into my PC and saving his critical data to a CD then I restored his PC to it's original state. I did not make SUS automatically download the OS patches. So he is not running SP2 and he has been okay for the past 2 months.

Profile maybe corrupt. Try logging in as another use to see if the problem persists.

Other than that, is this a domain environment? I've seen this problem when the DC cannot be contacted for proper authentication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back