Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Messaging system not started 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2001
US
Upon startup of a HP-UX 11.0 box, the CDE starts but I get the following error message:

The desktop messaging system could not be started. Login under failsafe and check that the desktop is properly configured, check the hostname, and check that the network is configured correctly.

I am new to HP-UX administration, but I belive the network and hostname is configured correctly, but not sure about the desktop or even where settings are set. This is a fresh install and the CDE has never started correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason Carter
MCSE, CCNA, A+

Jason,

Have you done what it suggests and logged in under failsafe? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Yes, except for checking to make sure the desktop is configured correctly. I do not know where to check this. Hostname and network are functioning correctly as I can telnet into the system using hostname or IP as well as telnet out to other systems in failsafe.

Where are the settings checked for the desktop? What should they be set to? Any help at all would be great.

I'm sorry I can't help you directly -- I can only offer general advice really as I don't often run HP's desktop.

When you run the desktop does anything else go wrong?

Are there any other error messages when you start up the system? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

There should be a .dt directory in / and will also an errorlog sort of file. Pls go thru that and find some hints. Also make sure that, your /etc/hosts is perfect, since Xwindows uses TCP/Ip for communication, if I am not wrong.

anu

I just got a HP-UX 11.x system. it worked fine. Added a aui tranceiver. set it fine and pinged yahoo.com etc.
Now it is showing the same problem as listed in this thread.
It doesn`t matter which user I try so it`s system-wide.

As nothing has been changed except a few shutdown -h now and startup`s I`m not sure where to start. The help box doesn`t help.

O.K. - checked the errorlog and its says :-

ERROR(4): dtsession: PID 1536: date:
The Tooltalk session server (ttsession) could not be started.

It suggests it wasn`t installed or not installed correctly.

Obviously it was (I think) as I never had the problem before.

What changed ???

See my sysadmin..right...that1s me :-(

Hi,

I've come across this before and it was due to one of these 2 things.
Cables needed to be reseated
If you're using DNS, check your nsswitch.conf to make sure it's resolving correctly.

Hope these help.

There are five nsswitch files in /etc None are nsswitch.conf.

Did a search find / -name nsswitch.conf and it`s not found.

????

Hello!
I don't know if this will help you, but I had exactly the same problem with CDE. The problem were the DNS parameters: I configured the DNS server, but not the default domain. When I put the default domain, it could start correctly. Check again if the Internet configuration is alright.

Hi ..all

I am also getting the same problem ......and since last 2 days i am trying to fix it.....i have gone through this post also but i am getting a concrete solution..If any one havd already solve this problem please post the solution immediately...

thanks in advance
Praful

Hi Honorac

as you told to check nsswitch.conf but there is no such file in /etc all that i can found is
# cd /etc
# ls -al|grep nss
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 528 Nov 6 1997 nsswitch.compat
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 353 Nov 6 1997 nsswitch.files
-r--r--r--1 bin bin 555 Nov 6 1997 nsswitch.hp_defaults
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 513 Nov 6 1997 nsswitch.nis
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 566 Nov 6 1997 nsswitch.nisplus
#
and DNS is resolving name perfectly....

U have also asked to reseat the cables....
which cables u mean.

waiting for ur suggestion
thanks
praful

Hi all

It is for sure that due to some problem in DNS configuration this problem is arising...Just now i disable the DNS configuration ...and now the eror message was not coming.....abd CDE is starting.
If you find any more information abt this issue...please post it.
THANKS
Praful

Hi,

Does this problem affect to all the users(root included) or not?
Have you run this script
/usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt
?
Have you patched properly the system?

Best regards.

The problem could also occur if your run out of disk space in your home directory as I have experienced...

Kenneth Ringbo
Nokia Mobile Phoens

I'm having a similar problem. I followed the advice regarding the nsswitch.conf file and that got me further than I was before (I at least got to the signon screen, before the Xwindow session was just running in background). Now, however, after I try to signon, I get a blue screen with an hour glass that hangs. So there is something else I need to do.

A can log on to CDE at the console, so there really isn't anything wrong with the networking on the Unix system.

The problem started when one of our DNS servers was switched. I made the proper changes to point to that new DNS server. At the console, everything is fine. But my users can't get to the CDE. Our DNS is handled by Windows NT/2000. The network folks say DNS is configured on the new system exactly the same way as it was on the old system. (Of course, they can't tell me why things aren't working as they were before they changed the DNS server!)

If anyone finds a solution, I will be very grateful.

I managed to solve this problem in 11.11 by cleaning up nsswitch.conf and making sure it wasn't pointing to anything I didn't have running.

Also -- I put my IP address and fully qualified hostname as the first line of /etc/hosts Mike
"Experience is the comb that Nature gives us after we are bald."

Is that a haiku?
I never could get the hang
of writing those things.

I ran across this same issue. I changed the name server resolver order to look in /etc/hosts before DNS. My HP-UX 11 system is DHCP enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back