Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

desktop lockup 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickG

Technical User
Jan 7, 2000
GB
I am using S to Infinity security on Win98 systems on an NT4 Network but I cant find any way to stop users ( students) from changing the name of the My computer icon to whatever they like (usually something obscene) any free or cheap utilities out there that can help?

Mick Gallagher

I have just put CG on 100 lab computers and it works like a dream. I have set the CG-swap to 2GB and have only run into a few instances where any of our systems have crashed due to running out of space. That problem was fixed by setting the Win2K systems to reboot once a day at 2AM after all labs have closed.

CG has allowed us to give the lab software packages (and there are over 80 of them) to work to their full potential. Using other software security packages or NTFS security, restricted many of our package's functionality. Now, the software works completely and if there is ever a problem ... just reboot. If a reboot dosent work then it is most likely a hardware issue.

I also looked at Deep Freeze, but it does not currently support Windows 2000.

The only two things that have been difficult with CG is the inability to push software out to my Win2K PC's without having to deactivate all the CGs with a key first and that they do not have a server management software that will warn me if any of the guards have been deactivated. I am working on a solution for the second issue with a custome in-house program, but will have to rely on workstudy lab monitors until that project is completed.

We are just getting ready to install the CG for the fall semester, and yes, pushing software with them in place is a pain, but, with our CG's we purchased 2 master boxes which will enable us to daisy chain all of the systems together and then unlock them with one key stroke. The only drawback that we have found with this process (a double edge sword mabye) is that if the chain is broken then all of the systems are automatically engaged. This has its good points and bad points I suppose, but not a bad thing all in all. We do not push software in our labs and rely on imaging to get our software loaded. Another point, in our labs, students are told by instructors to reboot the systems when they sit down. This is due to security practices we've had in the past, but will serve well still by ensuring that the CG partition is wiped and doesn't have the chance to fill up.

pcheather@yahoo.com

don't bother using 'Full Control'(Bardon) .. I was able to copy the FC directory from the %winDIR%\System\bfc dircectory (using only notepad)and e-mail it to myself and begin cracking. After an hour of research, I was able to patch the program and create a simple batch file that would patch the old Fc.exe with the new code that would allow any password to be entered and allow full access. Now me and my friends get some crazy LAN games going. You'd better use software with the Armadillo protection scheme to protect from disassemblers, because once it's disassembled, it can do whatever the hacker wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back