Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop is missing - Where did it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I was trying to connect my laptop from work to my home network, so I changed it from a domain to a workgroup. Then I was not able to logon with my usual id. The admin at work set me up with a new password for local access, but my old id doesn't work, and everything that I had on my old desktop has disappeared. Is there any way to get it back?

I already emptied my recycle bin, so if it went there, I am in big trouble.

If your old logon doesn't work, your admin might have deleted it. Logon locally w/ the logon that does work. Browse here: C:\documents and settings\________ Is a folder here named your old logon? If not, ask your admin if he knows anything about data recovery.

Thanks for your help. There is nothing under C:\documents and settings\oldpassword. Admin doesn't know how to do data recovery.

Should I just buy Norton Utilities and try to undelete the files under C:\documents and settings\oldpassword, or is there something better to try?

Did you have a roaming profile on the Domain? Is the domain copy still there if you did?

Sorry, I don't know what that means. I never connected this pc directly to the network. I logged onto the internet and then joined the network using VPN.

let me know what is ur operating system as all operating system is having there own way to keep there user desktops.

First of all create a local ID on ur laptop so that it will be available at both the places (off as well as home).

And if u dont want to do this try to logon with the same id and password which u used to use at ur office with the same domain name cos win2k prof. having a feature of cache login.

Other wise if u want to us the diff id on diff place then u could find ur desktop at the following path...

c:\documents and settings\ur user name i.e h147ry\Desktop.

try this and let me know..

I was able to recover most of my desktop files using an undelete utility. Thanks for everone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back