Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Internet related icons do not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwrj1052

Technical User
Jan 7, 2007
US
I am using a HP desktop computer upon which I had created desktop icons for my gmail account, my wives MSN account, CNN, Gmail, and Gmail Calendar. These icons worked perfectly until I unknowingly performed some stupid act.

Now when any of these Icons are clicked the software takes me to an Open with... window and instructs me associate the clicked icon with a specific program. However, none of the programs that are called up by the icon are listed. When I browse I cannot locate the appropriate program.

Anyone have any suggestions , solutions, or workarounds?

Your assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

Respectfully,

James W. Jozwiak
jwrj1052

Linney,

The Icons are for XP url shortcusts. However, the registry path did not work. Would firewalls prvent the patch from working?

Thanks for the effort. Any additional actions that you would propose would be sincerely appreciated.

Again, THANKS,

jwrj1052

What happens if you copy the URL address from the Shortcut Properties and paste it into the Address Bar of any Browser?
Same thing for the Start Run box? Try both with a Browser window open and again with it closed to check for any differences.

COMMAND/RUN OPTION
thread779-749623

Try the .html association fix mentioned in this thread.

After SP2, web shortcut doesn't start IE
thread779-930095

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode with Networking (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back