Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop does not boot with HD plugged in ...now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokengod

Programmer
Nov 8, 2002
AU
Dear Chaps and Chapettes,

In the process of assisting my brother to assemble his computer before he moves interstate, I swapped a cdrom into his box for ease of installation of stuff.

After returning the drive to my machine, I found that my machine would not boot, in fact it seemed no power was reaching the MB. I swapped in his power supply which seemed to stimulate some action, but as he was heading off and it was late we tested it no further and I assumed a new power supply would do the job.

Next day, a new power supply was installed and everything set up to go and .... no juice. After some experimentation, I determined that when the HD was plugged with power, then nothing would happen. Every other periph and a spare HD worked, but if the original HD was hooked into the power circuit, then nothing. This was replicated on another machine.

If any one can tell me what is likely to have happened and if it would be possible to retrieve the data somehow. Every computer I try to slave it into does the same thing. My wedding photos (2 weeks ago) are on there and my wife is bigger than me...

Thanks in advance.

brokengod

check the hdd controller card for a shortcut, maybe you lost a screw or so.
have you tried to but it up while it´s not mounted to the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back