Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Computer not Recognizing Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mother12

Technical User
Apr 26, 2007
US
I have a compaq presario 7110US with 2 gigs of ram. I installed a Seagate Ultra ata 100 160 gig hard drive. The hard drive will be used as the primary drive. No other drive will be installed with it. When I installed the drive , my computer is not recognizing the drive at all. When I turn on the computer, the system just shows COMPAQ on the screen and in the top right corner an arrow just blinks. On the top left hand corner, it shows 2048MbOKay. When I attempt to put the seagate disk in the cd rom, it doesn't do anything. I do not know what else to do???

Check if the BIOS recognizes the hdd, you might have to change it to auto. Do you know if the hdd itself, the pins were left as default? or auto select?

Is this a secondary hdd or are you replacing it? If it's a secondary, make sure the power cable as well as the ide cable are properly connected, if it's a secondary drive, you might want to change the pins to slave, if auto detect is not working.

=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

mother12,

When you turn the pc on you will see the cursor move from the top left to the top right of your screen. When it is at the top right you need to press F10 and you will be able to enter into the bios. Look in there to see if your new drive is listed. After you have verified that your new drive is showing up you need to exit the bios.

Your new drive has no data on it so you will need to use your Compaq Restore CD's in order prep the drive and install your operating system as well as any applications and device drivers.

To do this you will need to insert the Compaq Restore CD into the cd rom drive and reboot the system. It should boot up from the cd and step you through the process.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your PC is some what out dated and you just went from a 60 gig hard drive to a 160 gig and your bios may have a drive limitation which may prevent a drive of this size from being recognized.

My Compaq 7110US initially had two drives in it, One was the original 60 gig and the 2nd was an 80 gig. I wanted just one gig so I purchased a 160 gig. I took the hard drive out of the system and turned the power on. I got the same picture (showing Compaq) and the cursor blinking in the right upper corner. I pressed F10 but nothing came up. I checked the power and all the connections seemed fine.

Right on boot, press either F1 or F2, it should take you to the BIOS, make sure it is being detected first.

Since there is only 1 drive, make sure the hdd is set to master and the IDE cable is the one that states 0 or IDE 0, the power cable should match to the first hdd that you had. If you don't remember, it should look in order ie. P2 as the first (master), P3 as the second (slave)

=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back