Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

design software alternative to autocad 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddds

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
Hi All

Sorry in advance, if this isn't the proper forum for this...

A freind of mine is taking an interior design course and was asking me about using autocad for designing and decor. I know I've seen other software that is better suited specifically for decoration and design. Unfortuneatly I can't remember what they are? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Depending on what type of designing and decor you are referring to, AutoCAD may or may not be the best choice. If you are referring to laying out walls, and construction details AutoCAD will probably be a good choice. If you need to work on color schemes, textures etc, something like Adobe or the like would probably be a better choice.

AutoCAD can do rendering and the like and if your friend purchases something like Architectural Desktop or Architectural Studio (both Autodesk products), he or she may be able to do both.

Hope this helps
Todd

Thanks TCARPENTER

The Arcitextural Studio has the ability to layout interiors (color schemes and textures,etc) which is exactly what my friend requires. My only concern is how big a learning curve would this program require?

I see they a a 30 day trial so they'll get to findout if this is what they want...thanks again!

If there are any other programs that can do this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Cheers

consult your local walmart

I think they have a cheapo design program

I've been using AutoCAD since V6.2 and have struggled to use it as a 3d design tool for quite a while. I recently purchased SketchUp as an adjunct to Autocad. I can import dwgs and create wonderful design models/walkthrus that have helped expand my client base. Check them out at sketchup.com, it's an amazingly easy, simple, inexpensive design tool.

Thanks dunkinmoon

This is a very nice little program! I'll forward this site onto my friend and let them try the demo...I'm even giving it a whirl myself, it's fun and very easy to use.

I use Autocad in designing some of my art work and have always found it hard to translate my work from 2D into 3D. Though this doesn't offer the complete freedom required by an artist I'm sure with a little practise I'll be able to utilize this for simple rendering.

Nice find!...and thanks again!

Cheers

Just a little update!

Big thanks again dunkinmoon! I've nearly given up on autocad for my artwork (nearly)and am using Sketchup more and more. Amazing little 3D design tool that is remarkedly easy and simple to use without sacrificing detail or accuracy in the process.

Just take a look at their gallery of submissions from other users to see the power this little program packs...god! I sound like some cheapo ad...sorry!

Anyways, a star for the great suggestion!

Cheers

You are most welcome and I understand version 4.0 comes out the end of this month. To re-iterate, this program is not a CAD program, but a great modeler and tool set as an addition to use with other CAD and Rendering programs.

I've seen some nice results with JPEG exports from this program to be used with Photoshop for presentations.

Great!

Looking forward to any new and/or improved features! And yes (and no), it isn't a CAD program but it does export as a CAD drawing...I played with is feature as it was way simpler to create it in SketchUp then export into AutoCAD where you can view/edit your 3D creation (wire frame)! You can also import your CAD drawings in SketchUp and further manipulate them, save, export back to AutoCAD...this is the best part for me as I send my work to a metal shop for fabrication which require CAD for their machine translations...and the more info I can supply the better, even if it is an added sketch to better convey my ideas...this helps stop a lot of needless questioning, which saves money!

Very, very easy tool to learn, my hats off to the developers!
Great!

Looking forward to any new and/or improved features! And yes (and no), it isn't a CAD program but it does export as a CAD drawing...I played with is feature as it was way simpler to create it in SketchUp then export into AutoCAD where you can view/edit your 3D creation (wire frame)! You can also import your CAD drawings in SketchUp and further manipulate them, save, export back to AutoCAD...this is the best part for me as I send my work to a metal shop for fabrication which require CAD for their machine translations...and the more info I can supply the better, even if it is an added sketch to better convey my ideas...this helps stop a lot of needless questioning, which saves money!

Very, very easy tool to learn, my hats off to the developers!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back