Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design question for setup of cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesaka

IS-IT--Management
Sep 29, 2003
NL
I need to setup a cluster within a new child domain, and I want the two nodes also to be Domain Controllers with DNS for this domain. They should replicate with the mother domain.

We will be using W2K adv. Server sp3 for this.

Is there anything I have to consider, while I heard that this isn't recommended/possible, and I should install separate Dc's, instead of using both nodes for this.

Please help.

gr. Pesaka

I would definatly shy away from using the cluster for your child domain DC's.

What Application is the cluster going to be running.

Cory

Well, i don't see any difference if it is child or not. The most important issue is that the cluster service has to run under an account for the domain where your nodes belongs to.

Being a domain controller is not a clustered service. Since this service (DS) works on a multimaster replication there is no need for having such a cluster resource.

You know the rule, that is saying that if a node is DC the other has to be a DC too.

If the DC will bring a lot of utilization and traffic, you can consider the idea of redesigning your domain structure or force using for the cluster just a little domain named "domainlet" (is a domain that will not have replication. if you need details i can tell you how to make it).

Success!

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back