Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonythetech

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand and decide which way to go with what I have. I want to setup inter-VLAN routing with 3 VLANs. I have a Cisco 2950 switch, an ASA 5510 4 10/100 interfaces (base license) and a 1941 router 2 Gig interfaces (base license).

I'm not sure if I should use the 1941 to setup the VLANs and trunk one interface to a Gig port on the 2950 and then connect the other router interface to the ASA inside interface or lose the router and just setup the VLANS on the ASA. If I'm completely off base please help me understand the best use of existing equipment.

1st thought
Switch----Router----ASA-----ISP

2nd thought
Switch----ASA----ISP

Thanks,
Tony

Generally speaking you'll get poor intervlan routing performance from using a router on a stick configuration. The best thing to use would be a layer 3 switch as it could handle all the routing in hardware. If you can't afford to purchase a l3 switch, I would probably use the ASA for your intervlan routing.

Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't you think a gigabit trunk from the router to the switch would be better than 100mb trunk from the ASA to the switch?

The 1941 is a software router and would never come close to a gigabit speed.

with your current config you're going to be doing ROASt either way you look at it. if you only have a single 2960 you will be trunking an interface to your l3 device to get inter-vlan routing and whether it's an ASA or a 1941 it's still running all traffic over a single link. there are two factors involved here; 1) how much inter-vlan traffic are you going to be pushing, and 2) do you want two or three devices to maintain?

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Thanks, I understand I'm doing router on a stick and you have a good point with managing more devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back