Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design/Method Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

StlMacMan

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
US
I have a VB6 program w/ several forms, one of which is the main input form for data which is then stored in an Access 2002 db. The other forms display the stored data depending on which fields the user uses to search by. Several of the fields on the input form will be left blank when used. As time goes on they will be filled in. My question is about the best method to use for the user to be able to enter new data into the blank form fields over time and re-save it. Is that best done on one of the display forms, or does there need to be an edit button that re-opens the entry form, populates it w/ the existing data, and then re-saves it, or am I off-base here on how to accomplish this? our collective wisdom appreciated.--Ed

Since I started writing code professionally (15 years ago), there is one lesson that stands out more than any other. Don't assume the user interface. I truly believe that all things are possible. As a developer, you can make your app do anything! As soon as you create the world's best interface, someone will stand up and tell you what's wrong with it.

Every software application has users. The answer to your question lies with your users, not us. Talk to them, listen to them, find out what they want, what'll make their lives easier.

It's not our job to write code because it's easy. It's our jobs to write code so that our user's lives will be easier.

I've been burned before with my user interfaces. Writing. and then re-writing, and sometimes, re-writing again. Making an app do what it is supposed to do is easy. Making a bunch of humans (our users) happy, is a bit more difficult.

I apologize if this sounds more like philosophy than vb advice. I hope it helps.

It depends on what the common usage pattern will be. If they're editing stuff all the time, the users will appreciate not having to go to another screen to edit their values. If it's only an occasional thing, then it's probably a good idea to move it off onto it's own form.

You might want to buy a copy of Alan Cooper's About Face 2.0: The Essentials of Interaction Design

Chip H.

Thanks for the responses. "GM" I don't mind the philosophy. I am a professional philosopher doing social service work. This program tracks dozens of contracts for the agency for which I work. By and large a single user will be doing the initial entry and editing. "Chip" it happens with great regularity as about 10 of the date fields get filled in over several weeks or months. Ideally I'd like the display screen to be the place the new date gets added and the data re-saved. I have been reading about the Update method. Can I create an "edit" button on the display screen and have that allow the new entry and then put a save button, or do I need to have the edit button open a copy of the recordset and then have the user enter the additional data and re-save? --Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back