Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DES 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepp77

Vendor
Oct 30, 2008
GB
Not sure how many people use the Auto Configuration via the DES server for their deployment of the J169 and J179 handsets.

We use them in our hosted environment to enable the user to have a remote TLS phone at any location with an internet connection, we even have one site whose leased line was delayed running a dozen over a 4G router :)

Anyway I digress the reason I post and ask is I had a deployment of handsets for a customer to do on Thursday, so I claimed a phone, associated it with the customers profile on DES, plugged the phone in and told it to auto configure. Waited a short while and instead of updating being displayed on the screen, it said proxy server list empty. Hhmm I thought, so I connected to the customers system with monitor (just HTTP set as on to make it easier :)) and restarted the phone, by the time the error message was back on the phone there had been not a single HTTP address from this phones IP. So I double checked all my settings (as we had just updated this customers SSL cert - not that I could see how this could have caused this issue), the DES setup and could see nothing wrong. Decided to try on a different internet connection in case that was the issue, but nope same result. Then I decided to try both a second phone and re-assigning the first phone to a different customer, the second phone had the same error and the first phone had the same error even with the different company (no settings changes since rolling out 40 handsets to them via this setup).

So at this point I was getting annoyed and got The Smash involved to have a look and he also got the same issues as myself except with one of our DES "customers" - our in house system - go figure.

We then tried changing the provisioning URL Setup in DES from HTTP to HTTPS and vice versa, we disassociated handsets and reassociated them, then finally we tried completely deleting the profile, site and customer for one of the non working ones and re-entered them with exactly the same settings. Rebooted the phone and it instantly worked!

Did the same for the other customer setup that was now not working, and low and behold that too worked straight away.

Emailed DES support who confirmed that the DES server had received an update a day previously, but that it shouldnt have caused the issues we experienced.

Anyway

TL;DR

If you use DES to roll out J series handsets and you find them suddenly not working, delete the profile, site and customer then recreate them after a server update by Avaya corrupted all our setup customers.

| ACSS SME |

We are looking into your issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. We did have an update done this week but that shouldn’t cause the issues you mentioned below."

- Outstanding!

I think this is the 5th time DES has stopped working?

ACSS (SME)

I was just about to start playing with it.
Thanks for this feedback !!

Leave it alone or you'll go blind.

Depending on the URI configuration the ICR can be completely ignored.

If your URI is configured to use internal data then the IP Office will look into the user's SIP tab and if you have *'s it will look into ICR.

A madman with a taste for speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back