Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DERIVED COLUMN SYNTAX HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pms18066

Programmer
Jan 12, 2005
US
I am trying to create a derived column to concatenate a few fields together. The first field should ony contain all of the characters beginning with the 3rd character... ie
Right(colA, len(colA)-2)

The following syntax is throwing an error and I cant figure out what is wrong... The fields do contain NUlls for some records....Can any one help??

RIGHT((ISNULL(WARRANT_NUMBER_GS) ? " " : WARRANT_NUMBER_GS),LEN((ISNULL(WARRANT_NUMBER_GS) ? " " : WARRANT_NUMBER_GS) - 2)) + " " + (ISNULL(SOLICITOR_GS) ? "" : SOLICITOR_GS) + " " + (ISNULL(COURT_REPORTER_GS) ? "" : COURT_REPORTER_GS) + " " + (ISNULL(INCIDENT_NUMBER_GS) ? "" : INCIDENT_NUMBER_GS)

First, it helps if you post the error message.

Second, the syntax for ISNULL is ISNULL(1st expression, 2nd expression).

Example: ISNULL(Column1, 'Nothing')

Your script does not have the second expression with any ISNULL.

Example:
(ISNULL(INCIDENT_NUMBER_GS) ? "" : INCIDENT_NUMBER_GS)

You have only one expression for the ISNULL and that is INCIDENT_NUMBER_GS. Nothing else is inside the parenthesis. What is the script supposed to do if INCIDENT_NUMBER_GS is NULL?

Maybe you mean this?

ISNULL(INCIDENT_NUMBER_GS, '?')

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

THIS IS NOT SQL ISNULL(). THIS CODE IS INSIDE OF AN EXPRESSION FOR A DERIVED COLUMN. THE FIX FOR THIS WAS TO USE A SCRIPT COMPONENT AND THEN USE .NET TO GET THE PIECE OF THE STRING I WANTED. THANKS FOR TAKING A LOOK EVERYONE.

This type of work maybe easier to do on the server as part of a source query if the source is SQL Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back