Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Depreciation on used inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2004
US
We are having a change in our depreciation policy. The old policy allows us to suspend the depreciation on our used assets that were sent back to our warehouse to be refurbish and sent out to other locations. Sometimes the asset could sit at the warehoue for months. Now they changed it to continue depreciation even when not in use.
We use GP to recieve our used assets into inventory at net book value (NBV), but now how can we deprecate the value of that particular asset when in inventory. Can I use the Fixed asset module, we only have the POP,SOP,RM,INV module? Has anyone done this before or is there a third party add on that would do this?

GP9
Thanks,
Hung

You cannot depreciate an inventory item, only a fixed asset. If you need to continue the depreciation, why are you putting it into inventory?

we use not to depreciated these assets, so we had them in inventory. Now we have to continue the depreciation. The main reason why we putting them in inventory is because it's not in use and stored at our warehouse. We never had an issue til now. Our main use of GP was as an inventory system not fixed asset. So now I'm trying to see if I could use the fixed asset piece of GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back