Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deprecated Tapes, any way to "undeprecate" them? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

voierr

MIS
Oct 17, 2008
GB
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my Library which is being fixed tomorrow(hopefully).

Basically it's reporting the drives need cleaning and has, in my opinion, marked some tapes incorrectly as deprecated.
"Repeated errors during read and write or the usage counters have now exceeded a threshold. The media has been marked as retired. Please discontinue its use."

The reason I say incorrectly is that it's marked 6 new tapes as deprecated with the above error.
Also, it's marked both my cleaning tape as deprecated too. One has only had 7 runs and the other is new, no mounts, no uses.

Is there a way to un-mark these "bad" tapes? Got a lot of data on them that just can't go walkies...

I think I've found the reason for the error.
On the tape under usage info, the "No. Of Media Label Errors:" is 6. The threshold was set to 5 and therefore tape has been deprecated.

So, I've increased that threshold to 10 in the hope that the tapes would then "undeprecate" itself. This has not happened.

Any other ideas out there?

You can always locate the tape in your assigned media, right click on it and delete it (you only want to do this for tapes that have no data on them of course). Once the tape has been deleted then go to the media in library tab, find the tape you deleted and right click on it and choose discover, add it to your scratch pool and you are done. I have this problem when tapes are imported with the tabs closed, solves it everytime.

Commvaultdude,

Great, worked as you said it would, even for the cleaning tape. Thanks!

So, just the small matter of my tapes with data on...

I recently had the same problem when we had a faulty tape drive. We knew the tapes were good, so as Commvault dude says, deleting the tapes, and then rediscovering them did the trick! :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back