Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deployment with Win App

Status
Not open for further replies.

jubble

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
GB
I've got a Web application that at one stage makes a call to a Windows application (using System.Diagnostics.Process class) that does some processing and exports a file.
The Web app then picks up the file and processes it.
This Windows app needs to be packaged and deployed along with the Web app.
What's the best solution? ...Keeping in mind that the Win app uses 3rd party controls so I can't simply add the exe file to the Web directory...the win app needs a full installation.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

For the win app.
Create a new class library, remove the class file and add eg forms classes anything. The compilation will give you a dll.

Use the follwing code:

Code:
imports ref=system.reflection

dim dll as ref.assembly
dll=ref.assembly.loadfrom("[URL unfurl="true"]http://YourSite.Something/...")[/URL]

dim formtype as type
formtype=dll.gettype("Remotedllone.form1")

dim o as object
o=activator.createinstance(formtype)

dim frm as form
frm=directcast(o,form)

frm.show()

If you attempt some IO you have to adjust some things in the NET Framework from Administrative tools.

Sorry, didn't make it that clear...

All I need is some info on how to deploy the whole project including the Windows application...the communication between the web app and win app is fine.

The only idea I can think of at the moment is to install the Web app as a seperate installation and then the win app as a seperate installation in the web directory (the Win app exe must reside in the Web app directory) but it would be much more practical if I could do one package for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back