Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deployment problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigersbh

Programmer
Jul 24, 2007
US
I am having a problem running the setup.exe created from the VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard. This setup.exe has worked for a few years with the following syntax: setup.exe /s /v/qb and for some reason it no longer works. Now it returns "invalid command-line arguments". I don't know when it quit working so I don't know what changed.

Here are a few examples of what works and what doesn't:

setup /s (...does not work.)
setup /silent (...works)
setup /silent /v/qb (..does not work.)
setup /s"/v/qbt" (.."/s" works, the rest is ignored. I can put anything in the quotes.)

We are running Windows XP SP2.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Instead of using command line args, why not just double-click on setup.exe?

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger.
Then it hit me.

We push out this installation. The parameters run the installation program as transparently as possible to the end-user.

The /s or -s switch only works if you also give the path and name of a log file:

Setup -s "c:\MySetup\MyLog.log"

If the path, or filename doesn't exist, then it may continue to work, but I believe when using /s, giving a path is required.

I think the reason that the /Silent switch works is because it is looking at /S and assuming "ilent" is a file name. Could be wrong. May want to search for a file name "ilent"[smile]

Funny we are doing the same thing, one program the sequentially loads a bunch of setup.exe files seamless to user, and one of our older apps is still VB6; Indeed it worked forever until now...

And yes! I find "ilent" as a file after we are done, thanks, Ill clean it up.

Well I didn't! I'll have to look into SBerthold's post closer now though, given your response. Maybe I'll get some insight for when I finally get back on that project.

Someone on another forum suggested I get the latest service pack for Visual Basic. I have SP5, but apparently there is a newer one.

By the way, does your setup work now? If so, what VB service pack are you using?

Thanks.

Hmmm, service pack 3 actually, we do most stuff in .net now so we have not upgraded.

iRetID = Shell(CurDir & "\Erad Datalogger\setup.exe /s c:\NewWorldlog.txt", vbNormalFocus)

This worked, where if you dont put a valid path name it fails.

Also fails if you use capital S or -s...maybe SP5 issue if above wont work.

Thanks for the info. I've saved your notes. Hopefully I'll get back to that project soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back