Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying vb6 (unmanaged) dll with .net applications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoder

Programmer
Jun 21, 2010
US
I have a .net application that uses a dll written in VB6. That dll uses two other unmanaged dlls as well as the visual basic common control library. I've got it all working well on my development computer but now I need to package it up for deployment and it's not working. I can get the application installed and I can run it but as soon as I click the button that instantiates the dll I get a runtime error.

So what special steps do I need to take so that these files will be properly installed during setup? (need to deploy to a machine running Vista. OK for admin install but need to be able to run in non-admin mode)

Simple question but are the dll's actually being loaded with the deployment? If not then you must add it to the deployment package.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

nope...they weren't. The interop was being added but not the dll. So I added them, set the register property to vsdrfCOMSelfReg and it all works great. Thanks :)

One more question, though. The second DLL will be used for more than one application so I'd like to avoid putting it in the application folder. I guess I'm not supposed to put it in system32 anymore (and not sure how to do that with this setup package anyway) so what would be the preferred location for the file and how would I get it there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back