Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deploying Software Package using GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

windowsfan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2007
US
I want to deploy symantec update using GPO. We have multiple sites and 4 of the sites have DC locally.

we only have single OU Structure (workstation OU for all computers from all sites).
I want to configure GPO so that user gets symantec update files from the localdomain. I tried to configure this using %logonserver%\netlogon\symantec, but this is resolving to the DC I am logged into.

What should I do for the sites with no local DC?

How can I edit the location of the software package, if I have to? I did not see any option where it allows me to change the location of the software package?

Assuming all machines are domain members, the only viable solution i can think of is to create an OU for each site(very simple and requires just a minute of re-linking existing GP's), link the appropriate GP's to each GP, then create a GP for each site specific to Symantec editing the appropriate registry keys to look at the share directory of the local DC, or a shared directory on a system you designate as a poor man's file server. A reboot of all the workstations will likely be required to get the new policy. Next setup a simple script to copy out the updates to the shared directories at each site and delete the old ones. Hope this helps

"I'm certifiable, not certified. It just means my answers are from experience...not a book

Thanks for the reply drew, I agree with your answer and that's the best way to do it but, I cannot change AD structure right now so I am trying to find out another solution.

how can I change location of existing software package? let's say my package is pointing to server one and i want it to change it to server2

i would point it this way \\server\package\hhhh.msi(old direction) change it to \\server2\package\hhhh.msi ensure you share the package folder correctly...

hope this helps

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

I guess you misunderstood my question. It's already pointing to server one,where is the option to edit?

Thanks

You could also put the .msi file in the SYSVOL folder

(%systemroot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\domain.com\scripts)

and this replicates across all of your domain controllers. Give it 24 hours to replicate (or force the KCC) and then script it into the logon script, or create a new GPO-based logon script.

that1guynick,
I do samething for other software package but for Symantec Antivirus update it's not working from DC or from other server. It needs to point to Symantec server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back