Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying Report From Visual Studio Does Not Update Some Information 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webuser

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
US
If I have an existing report on a Report Server, and I modify the report in Visual Studio, then deploy it, only some of the information gets updated on the server. For example, I changed a report parameter from type string to Date/Time and that got updated on the server, but when I added a default value to the parameter, it did not update...

For now, to work around this problem, I simply delete the report first on the server, and then deploy and it works fine, but for EXISTING reports, this problem (or bug?) is a real nuisance. Has anyone had this problem?

(Incidentally, I'm using Visual Studio 2005 with SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services). The way I deploy is I right click on the report and click "Deploy"

Thanks in advance!!!

Once a report has been deployed with no default parameter, that is the way it will stay. The parameter and data source information is stored on the report server and will not be overwritten by any further deployments so once it has been deployed for the 1st time, you need to edit within the report server interface rather than change within the report and deploy. This is easy enough in RS2000 - don't have 2005 but I am sure it is not much different - simply go into the report on the report server and click on the "Parameters" option -change it in there

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Thanks.

So there is no way around this? It's just pretty annoying, especially for automated deployment purposes...

I'm just curious though, when you upload the RDL for the first time, are you saying that the parameter and datasource info is stored somewhere other than the RDL on the server? Do you know where that is? Is it accessible?

Thanks!!!

Sorry but don't know. I must assume so however as the information is available in the Report Server Interface. All I know is that once a report has been deployed, parameters and data sources can only be changed in the RS Interface rather than Vis Studio. To be honest, I thought they were meant to have fixed it in 2005 but obviously not....

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back