Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying MSI Apps with elevated privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick340

Technical User
Nov 14, 2003
US
When I try to deploy any MSI app as user I get the 1603 error message. If I deploy the app as administrator the app installs without any problems. What Else do I need to do to get elevated privileges so users can install MSI apps.

NW 6 SP3
Zen 4 SP1b
MSI Apps Office 2k and Mcafee 4.5.1 (using lastest MSI)
I have the AlwaysElevated keys set in the registry.
Are there any other Registy settings?

Are you running it as a Secure System User? Have a look under the application properties in Run Options\Environment

I've tried both the Secure system user and unsecure and I still get the 1603 message.

From the testing that I have done with it, you need to use a third party app like sanur that allow you to script the run as command. Otherwise you need to give your users admin rights to their workstations.

From what I've read, MSI apps do not need to be given elevated privileges. The privileges are already built in to the MSI installer. There was a long thread about this recently on the Novell ZfD4 App Launcher forum I think.

Matt

I've had no luck using the ZENworks "Secure System User" and I don't see any auto-Admin rights built into MSI files. I don't like setting the registry AlwaysElevated because it's, well, Always Elevated and the users can install software. The comment about SANUR is right on the money. Here's my script to deploy MSI's where the users don't have Admin rights:

RUNAS /USER:localadmin "msiexec.exe /i program.msi" | sanur password

RUNAS is included with XP and works for XP & 2K.
localadmin is the local machine Admin account
SANUR is a free utiltiy to pipe the password to RUNAS
PASSWORD is the local admin password

SANUR (RUNAS backwards) is at
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back