Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying an application

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellyjm

Programmer
Apr 13, 2000
JM
I've been able to distribute an application on Windowss NT Workstation. It works well.

I'm trying to get this thing running on Windows 95 and it's constantly giving me error 429 or 430 Saying it can't create ActiveX Component.

Help guys.

Most likely your dependency files are not setup correctly for your application. There are files that are on the NT machine that are not on the 95 machine. Probably the reason it worked on NT is that the machine already had the needed files for the application that was installed. However the 95 machine was not this fortunate.

When you use the Package and Deployment wizard it should go through and find all the controls and references needed for the application and package them in the setup. You can check the references from the project window to see if you're referencing any 3rd party ActiveX components. If you added any custom controls like Winsock or Common Dialog, these controls need to be packaged as well. This is most likely what was on the NT machine, but not on the 95 machine.

If your application uses database access, then you may have to install MDAC on the 95 machine so you can configure your ODBC DSN's. This is as simple as adding MDAC_TYP.EXE to your installation where you can add files. The setup program will do a silent install for you automatically. However it adds like 7 Meg to the setup. If you're not using ODBC, or MS-Jet, then don't include it.

Hope this helps.

This happens at the point of connection, not sure if it's setting the connection or opening.But I did some checks and it's right where connection is referenced.

The MDAC_typ is packaged with it, how do i know for sure if it was deployed?

The P&D Wizard will not setup your DSN for the application (that I know of). I think you have to create this manually. If it's failing on the connection, then most likely the DSN is not setup on the target machine.

How can I add MDAC_TYP.EXE to my package? I recently tried to run the Package and Deployment wizard, that file was one that was missing. Where can I get it? [sig][/sig]

Goto Microsoft.com and search for MDAC_TYP.EXE and there you can d/l it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back