Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploy Program's Icons 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PU36

MIS
Mar 16, 2005
US
We have 2 Citrix Servers that users connect to via a Published Desktop. The users connect and access the applications as needed.

However once certain users need to access particular programs. Currently everyone has the same start menu (All Users), but if they want access to particular programs we drop an icon on their Citrix Desktop. This is very tedious.

It is possible to publish applications to a User's Citrix Desktop and not their person computer desktop?

It is possible to publish apps and launch them within a desktop session, we do it for the odd app that is only installed on one server. If it is only dekstop icons to local apps you are looking to put on users desktops, why not script it as part of the logon script. We use kix to copy icons to the users desktop at logon depending on their requirements etc, that way you don't have to do it manually. There are probably even easier ways to achieve this!

Regards, Darren

I was considering scripting it out, but haven't heard of kix. Do you have a link tat I can view?

I was planning on scripting using the IfGroup command in the resource kit, but if there is an easier way I'm up for that.

And why are we not using published applications which drops an icon of their own local desktop and allows access to the application only ?

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Magnum1976,
I would suggest installing the Program Neighborhood AGENT on your published Citrix desktop.
Make sure you use pass-thru authentication when configuring the PN Agent.

This will allow you to do the following:
- Allow you to place an icon on the Citrix published desktop.
- Control access to that published application via Global Groups.
- No scripting!!

Before you install the PN Agent you will need a Web Interface server (not sure if you are running one at this moment.)

I've used this solution before and it works great.

Hope that helps.

There you go Magnum1976, the PNA is a much better way of achieving this than my scripting idea. That's why I love forums, I'm changing the way we do it now as enigma99 says!!

Regards, Darren

darren97/magnum1976,
Another helpful tool will be the pnagent admin web page.
In WI 3.0 it is (I think).

In WI 4.0 you will have to manage the pnagentadmin via the Access Suite Console.

Hope that gives u a little more info.

how bout a star......lol
=P

The reason we are not currently publishing applications is because the usersa lready had the Citrix Neighboorhood Agent (ica32pkg.exe) installed on their machine when I began this little project.

Currently the users just connect ot Citrix and run the applications they need from their Citrix Desktop. I woul dbe happy to change the way we do things, if there is a better method. HOWEVER, I'm dealing with users in 6 different cities and I don't want to have to train all of them on the new way to access the progmra they want.

I would rather just publish the applications to their Citrix Desktop and not to the Local Desktop. Currently I have to drag the icon to their profile for them to have access to that program. PAIN IN MY ARS!!!

Magnum1976,
That is exactly what this will accomplish.

Log into the Citrix servers that are publishing out the Citrix desktop. Install the PN AGENT on these servers and use the pass-thru configuration.

When users log into this Citrix Desktop they will get authenticated and any published application they have access to will appear on their CITRIX DESKTOP.

they can then simply double-click on the icon and it will launch the published application WITHIN the CITRIX DESKTOP.

Perfect. I'll give it a try and let you know what comes of it.

Thank you for everyones help.

I personally hate agent, but that is a personal opinion. Program Neighbourhood is my prefered solution becuase you can also use it to test with. However I am not disagreeing,

Cheers
Scott

I personally hate Program Neighborhood. :) The ideal solution for IT is Web Interface with only Published Applications, but if you must publish desktops your options to get icons on desktop/start menu are:

PNagent
Group Policy + Desktop & Start Menu Redirection
Softgrid
Scripting

I think we all hate and reject technology with which we've had bad experiences. If someone is successful and comfortable with a given technology, by all means use it. I just like that forums like this give us a place to discuss such things with others.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Well said Patrick. Actually I will add that sometimes it is a technology we don't feel comfortable with, or dont even understand.

I do hate publishing desktops though, it completly defeats the purpose.

Cheers
Scott

I do agree with both your opinions, however I wanlked into this mess and right now I'm trying to find a way to fix it without having to revamp everything.

I will look into what it would take to move all the users to Web with Published Applications.

It depends. For users with thin client computers, a published desktop is a good fit and easy transition for them when you take away their PC. For users with PCs, published apps is the way to go.

I'd be interested in other techniques people use with thin-client computers that doesn't involve published desktops.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

I agree...
In the past..I've deployed WYSE 1200LE's that don't have a WinXP "feel" to it.
They simply have a connection manager window and that is it. If you try to publish a simple "Outlook" icon or "word" icon...your end-user would probably freak out. But if you published a "Desktop" and they get the normal "Desktop Feel" (ie...start button/my computer..blah..blah..)...then your user would adapt a little easier.

But there are some times when you do publish a single app. For example...one of my clients had purchased all XP based thin clients. We used WI to give them access to their enterprise application (EPIC) and it worked out great. We used all of their client printer mappings and we had no issues.

So it really all depends on your business goal.
Both of you bring up great points!

In the pas I installed Programme neighbourhood on the servers and connected the users to that. A bit kind of dirty but it worked.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back